Recently a student asked me how to configure a Bluetooth Controller for use in VR. The short answer is that configuration is a simple affair of attaching an FPS Controller script to whatever has the VR prefab attached to it. The Edit>Project Settings>Input settings are all pre-configured for use with a mouse and keyboard and joystick controller – simultaneously. If you have a single analog controller, an issue will arise; the joysticks x axis (left and right motions) will cause you to strafe. The desired operation is to rotate.
We can work towards solving the strafing issue by asking the following question; under other circumstances, how would you rotate the character? Using a keyboard and mouse, A and D keys strafe while a mouse is used to both look around and guide the player’s body in different directions. Why not adapt the mouse inputs for use with a single analog joystick?
- In Edit>Project Settings>Input settings, select the Mouse X input and duplicate it.
- Change its Type to Joystick Axis.
- Then disable the second Horizontal element by changing its Type to Key or Mouse Button.
If you have a dual-analog controller you should be able to adapt the inputs in a likewise manner.
- In Edit>Project Settings>Input settings, select the second Horizontal and Vertical elements and duplicate them.
- Change their Axis parameters to reflect those of your second analog joystick (consult the controller’s documentation or experiment).
- In this example there’s no need to disable the second Horizontal element
A Note from Admin:
I hope you found this content useful. If so, please like and subscribe and consider contributing to
so that I can continue to produce great #gamedev and #game art content while battling cancer!
Subscribe and get ahead with the latest tech recommendations, tricks, and tutorials!
learnindiedev.com Unlike Udemy, this site will feature live lessons and game jam learn-a-thons (exactly what it sounds like)! Featuring No-Code Video Game Development, the only video course to become a published text book!
openforcommissions.com Why be hard to find? Upload your portfolio, change your open/close status with a single tweet, get paid!