Equally at home in a Freebie Fridays post, this “tutorial” isn’t one of mine. But it is great! It remains one of my go to sources for all things indie marketing. Unfortunately, as good as it is, it is also really long and rambling. I’ve decided to rewatch it for my own edification while making sure it does the double-duty of generating content for NCP. To that end, I’ve crea†ed a table of contents for the video:
- Marketing & Branding (slides 1-8): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=1m8s
- Marketing Related To Games (slide 9): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=19m16s
- Game Monetization Funnel (slide 10): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=24m26s
- Press Kit (slide 12): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=30m34s
- Press Release (slide 13): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=37m2s
- Where to Post (slide 14): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=51m28s
- Hashtags (slide 18): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=1h18m26s
- Content Marketing (slide 19): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=1h38m42s
- Content Creation (slide 20): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=1h41m12s
- Trade Shows (slide 22): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=1h45m9s
- Ads (slide 23): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=1h46m42s
- Champion/Challenger Strategy (slide 28): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=1h51m2s
- Types of Marketing Trailers (slide 34): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=1h54m12s
- Making a Game Trailer (slide 36): https://youtu.be/Sd2IHO2xBrY?t=2h3m38s
- “Marketing of a game begins before development.”
- Field of Dreams is not a strategy; building it is not enough.
- “Content Marketing is King.”
- “It’s easy to think that you’re a jerk. Especially if you say jerky things all the time.”
Other resources mentioned in the discussions exclusively:
- itch.io: https://itch.io/ An indie distribution site where the developers get to keep 100% of their proceeds. It also facilitates the creation and exhibition of game jams.
- pixelprospector.com: http://www.pixelprospector.com/ “The Indie Goldmine… indie games… and essential resources for game developers”
- tweepi.com: http://tweepi.com Twitter tools. Allows you to unfollow twitter users that don’t follow you so as to expand your cap.
- heatmaps: https://wordpress.org/plugins/heatmap-for-wp/ Heatmaps, which are visually representations of how your audience interacts with your webpage, were discussed briefly. Linked is an example of a heatmap plugin for WordPress.
Other resources featured in the description:
- Presentation Slides: http://bit.ly/vgamemarketingslides
- Film Production Handout: http://bit.ly/FlimProductionHandout
- Game Marketing Checklist: http://bit.ly/IndieDevMarketingChecklist
- Press Release Handout: http://bit.ly/PRhandout
- Press Release Sample: http://bit.ly/PRsample
- Good YouTuber List: http://videogamecaster.com
- Amazing YouTuber List: http://youtubers.brightside-games.com
- Amazing Twitcher List: http://tinybuild.com/twitch
- #indiedev: https://ritetag.com/best-hashtags-for…
- #gamedev: https://ritetag.com/best-hashtags-for…
- #indiegamedev: https://ritetag.com/best-hashtags-for…
A Note from Admin:
I hope you found this content useful. If so, please like and subscribe and consider contributing to
so that I can continue to produce great #gamedev and #game art content while battling cancer!
Subscribe and get ahead with the latest tech recommendations, tricks, and tutorials!
learnindiedev.com Unlike Udemy, this site will feature live lessons and game jam learn-a-thons (exactly what it sounds like)! Featuring No-Code Video Game Development, the only video course to become a published text book!
openforcommissions.com Why be hard to find? Upload your portfolio, change your open/close status with a single tweet, get paid!